Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (HSP)
Hereditary spastic paraplegia (HSP), also known as Familial Spastic Paraplegia (FSP) is a group of rare inherited disorders that cause progressive weakness and stiffness in the leg muscles. Symptoms gradually worsen over time. Degeneration of the upper motor neurones in the brain and spinal cord causes abnormalities in the control of muscle tone and movement in the lower body.
Symptoms of HSP
You may experience some or all of the following symptoms if you suffer from HSP:
- Lower limb weakness
- Increased muscle tone and stiffness (spasticity)
- Reduced sensation at feet
- Problems with your mobility
- Problems with your balance
NB- Some more complicated forms may have additional problems such as epilepsy, visual problems, cognitive impairment and deafness
How we can help with HSP
At Neurotherapy Worx, our physiotherapy for heredtary spastic paraplegia (HSP) can help you manage your condition in the following ways:
- Specific ‘hands on’ neurological physiotherapy to help improve movement patterns and maintain function.
- Set up an exercise programme at home and/or within a gym setting to help maintain muscle strength and stamina
- Gait re-education and assessment/provision of appropriate walking aids if needed
- Functional electrical stimulation (FES) to help with mobility
- Balance re-education
- Spasticity management through provision of appropriate stretching plan or positioning advice. Liaise with consultant re: spasticity medication where needed.
- Postural advice, exercises and education
- Advice and education with family and carers about your condition and how to help you.
- Referral to services such as orthotics (splinting/supports), wheelchair services, driving assessment centre
How Does Neurotherapy Treatment Work?
We hold a brief conversation with you about what problems you struggle with and how you need help
We capture your personal details, discuss the costs and timings and arrange an appointment
During your first appointment, you share your goals with us and we conduct a physical assessment
We work with you to build a personalised treatment plan, during a scheduled period of intervention
We may prescribe some exercises to help you to address weakness, move more efficiently and improve your quality of life
We regularly review your progress and adjust your goals as you make improvements
What’s a Treatment Plan?
Why Work With Our Team?
Motivational, personalised and tailored care, based on your individual goals and fully adapted to your abilities
Multi Skilled Team
Our expert team work together when required, fully communicating to deliver the fastest and best outcomes
With extensive, hands on practical career experience of working in hospitals, clinics and the community
Why Trust Us for Your Treatment?
Fully HCPC, CSP, Physio First, CPD, DBS, BOBATH accredited with proof of up date memberships upon request
By staying ahead of cutting edge industry treatments, we bring you new and unique support and options
Trust Us with your Data
We’ve invested in the latest, GDPR compliant IT systems for accurate patient record keeping
Neurological Problems We Help With
Range of Movement
Reduced Muscle Tone
Neurological Conditions We Support
• Alzheimer’s Disease
• Balance Problems
• Brain Injury
• Brain Tumours
• Cerebral Palsy
• Functional Neurological Disorder
• Guillain-Barré Syndrome
• Hereditary Ataxias
• Motor Neurone Disease
• Multiple Sclerosis
• Muscular Dystrophy
• Parkinson’s Disease
• Peripheral Neuropathy
• Spinal Deformity and Injury
What Does Tailored Care Mean?
A Hands on Treatment Plan
Your treatment plan evolves around you – Entirely bespoke way of adapting movements
Small goals are adapted as your personalised treatment plan evolves and incremental goals are achieved
Your Confidence Levels
Supportive equipment is adapted to you and your individual confidence levels, abilities and goals
Your Own Personal Motivations
Based on goals that each individual person is actually motivated to achieve